Friday, May 24, 2013

Our last day in Berea, Kentucky

Hi everyone!

Well It's Friday and that means today was our last full day in Kentucky. We got to sleep in this morning which was nice! However, us girls wanted to take advantage of our free day. We got up relatively early and ate lunch at Berea's dining hall. The group enjoyed a new dish, broccoli casserole. After lunch, we walked into town and did some souvenir shopping. The weather was perfect, the shops were interesting, and the town was ours.
Here are two photos of some shops in Berea. Bright colors! 5/24
Here is a picture of Ang. Yes, she is wearing two different flip-flops!
After walking around the town, us girls went back to the dorm to relax for a little while. Then Haley, Ashland, and I went to Berea Old Town with Ted. We went to shops, art galleries, and more.

The Welcome sign for Berea Old Town

While in Old Town, we stopped by a glass blowing studio. The studio had many different glass objects. We even got a chance to go in the back to meet Michelle, the glass blower. We observed her making a glass vase and it was so cool to watch before our eyes.
Here is Michelle making the beautiful purple vase. So talented.
Next, we stopped by a Pewter Store owned by a very interesting man. This man made different pewter objects such as cups, charms, necklaces, etc. We also went to the Pewter studio and watched him make a Pewter cup. He designed this type of cup himself. It was cool to see him take a flat, round piece of pewter metal, and shape it into a cup.
The steps toward a Pewter cup!
It was nice to walk around Berea and to enjoy the friendly environment. After,Ted took us for some ice-cream! After our adventures in town, we headed back to the dorm for some relaxation. Soon after, us girls got ready for our last family dinner together at the Boone Tavern. We dressed up and headed over to meet Ted. At dinner, we talked about our trip and all the hearing screenings we did. It finally hit me that it's our last night in Kentucky! It is a bittersweet feeling for this trip to come to an end. The food at dinner was delicious and overall it was a nice time.

Of course I have to add a photo of my food! Delicious steak.

I'm glad to say I tried something new! Pecan Pie
After a lovely dinner together, the seven of us went back to the dorm and spent some time together. We all sat together and reflected on our time on this trip. We talked about our favorite times and adventures. I know that I loved screening the little kids, but I also loved being silly with the group and making everyone laugh! Also, I loved seeing the smiles on the children's faces after we screened their hearing. We really got to know each other on this trip and I'm very glad I did it. Kentucky was a great experience for all of us! Now, we are getting ready to leave. I'm thankful that Hailey is helping me pack! Tomorrow we are leaving early in the morning for our ride back north. I'm going to miss this place. 

Here is one last picture of us. The Kentucky Crew...The Kentucky Family


Since this is my last post to this blog, I'd like to thank Dr. Johnson for taking us on this adventure and teaching us valuable lessons for our future. Take care everyone and thanks for reading!

-Bre









No comments:

Post a Comment